Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Where oh where have the Nebrigs been? part 1



Well, to say we have been busy might be an understatement. I am going to have to back track if I want this blog to be somewhat of a timeline of our life. Lets go all the way back to August, seriously so much has happen sense august, so the highlights will have to do. Mid August we decided we needed to escape the 100+ temp and head to Colorado. We went to visit Mimi and Pappy AKA "the Webbs" . The Webbs are the parents of one of my best friends, Jenny. They are like family. One day I need to do a post on all of my family's I have been blessed with, but right now I will tell you about the webbs. They are so precious to me. 11.5 years ago I met Jenny, It was not just any meeting, it was a meeting ordained by GOD. I know this is a rabbit trail, but I want to write it down in case I forget to tell my boys about it, which is highly likely b/c I forget to brush their teeth :) sorry m. Ok, back to the meeting. I was in California hiking Mt Shasta, my mind was set to summit, I had been telling my mom all summer how I just wanted to make it to the top. Well long story short, there are different stopping points throughout the hike, lake Helen being the first one. I sure as heck was not stopping there. I know, a little prideful. Most of the people on my team decided to stop at lake Helen, pitch there tents and sleep. In there defence we did start hiking at 1am, and most of them had altitude sickness. I asked our mountain guide If we could keep going, he said sure, so our guide, another girl named krista and I started hiking again. Oh by the way, this is not just any hike the mountain is covered in snow, and we have on helmets, crampons( spikes you strap on your boots so you won't slide) , and ice axe's. We had been hiking for about an hour laughing the whole way (our guide would toot like every five steps!!) . We stopped to catch our breath, and decided we wanted our guide to take a picture of us. It was probably the most inappropriate place to take a picture, we were practically hanging on the mountain with our ice axe. Just as krista (not me) pulled out her camera, she slipped and fell into our guide and sent him flying down the mountain, luckily he was a pro at self arresting( using your ice ax to stop your sliding) After the "incident" he made us slide back down to lake Helen. By the time we got back to lake Helen all I wanted to do was sleep so I just piled in a tent with about 7 people and fell fast asleep. I woke up screaming from a terrible nightmare, (my mom was very sick with cancer) even when I woke up and realized it was a dream I started having a panic attack, the people in the tent were yelling at me to shut up and go back to sleep... mean, I know, but I have forgiven them. I couldn't sit still so I get out of the tent to walk around. When I was standing out in the middle of nowhere Jenny walked up to me and said " hey, you want to go to the bathroom" I said "sure" so we walked around trying to find a place to use as a bathroom all the while I was telling her all about my mom. In the middle of my sentence she said lets just pray, so we sat there on this amazing mountain as the sun was rising praying for my mom. An amazing peace just came over me. It was incredible. So, that is how our friendship started. We kept up all of my senior year, and then she ended up living directly above me in our freshman dorm, dowdell which is pretty amazing seeing that I registered for Auburn 3 months b/f I started. Ending up in the quad was really unheard of, if you didn't send in all your info way in advance. Completely God. Ok, so that is how we met. The summer after our freshman year I went on a trip out west with the Webb Family. It was not just any trip it was an RV/ camping trip, you know the kind of trip you can't help to get to know everyone very well. We flew out to Colorado picked up the RV and started our 14 day adventure, driving through Utah,Wyoming,and the tip of Montana and stopping everywhere in between. After that trip, the webbs were like instant family.

ok, back to our recent trip to Colorado. We had a blast!! It was so special to take my boys to see mimi and Pappy. Finn would wake up every morning chomping at the bit to go play with them. We stayed in Denver the first day, then drove to Breckenridge. On the way to Breckenridge we decided to drive up Mt Evans, that is one crazy high mountain. 14,000 ft!! I about lost my lunch staring down the mountain as Michael drove up. The temp change was unreal, base level was 76 and summit was 44. After our detour we made our way to Breckenridge spent the night in a wonderful condo . The next day we went to Vail and drove all around to show Finn, Shands and the Webbs Michael's old stopping grounds. Michael lived in Vail for 6 months his junior year at auburn. Mimi and Pappy were amazing tour guides we went to all the hot spots for kids.
(view from the webb's back door)
In the clouds driving up Evans.
shands sweet cheeks got wind burned after making it to the top.

the whole crew working on the "water rocket"

The Alpine slide was Finn's absolute favorite. The first time down I rode with Finn, and he loved it. The second time down Michael rode with Finn. When they got to the top Finn said "you go on that slide, and I will go on this one" Michael had to break it to him that he wasn't tall enough to ride by himself, hence the not so happy look.

Thank you Mimi and Pappy, we had an absolute ball!!! Can't wait to see you again!

Stay tuned.. lots more to back track.

2 comments:

catherine said...

I have missed your posts and pics of those sweet boys. Are yall going to Auburn for game at Thanksgiving? Or to Montgomery @ any time? I would love to get to see yall.

Lane Arnold said...

Keep'em coming! Can't wait to hear more and see pics of your sweet family!!