Saturday, November 1, 2008

Ok so it's like this...

You know those ladies who drink only fruit juice (or something crazy) for a couple of weeks to loose 10lbs, then they get fed up and go to the nearest McDonald's and devour a big Mac. Well that is how I feel about this Dave Ramsey budget!!!!! AHHHHH!!!! I Caved, I swiped my credit card at least 4 times in the last week!!! I know that sounds dumb, but for a family who is strictly on a cash budget (meaning we just use cash instead of credit cards) that's a lot!!! The funny thing is, I actually had the cash to spend, I just didn't want to part with it. I felt so guilty I came home and told Michael. I even told him I saved all my receipts so I could take everything back. He said, don't worry about it we will just do better next month. I know, I am very blessed with a patient and understanding husband. This whole situation got us thinking and talking about the pro's and con's of a cash budget. The reason we decided to go on a cash budget was to make sure we live within our means, and to be able to save more. Also you spend a lot less on "stupid stuff" as I would call some of my spending. I mean, it's a lot harder to part with cash than to swipe a credit card, therefore you just don't spend as much. Ok, so that is all well and good, but the con's come in when you become this money miser and you are constantly trying to calculate when you can get this, or when you can get that, and it becomes so sinful!! I mean hello " do not store up for yourself treasures on earth where moths and rust destroy, and thieves break in and steal. Matt 6:19" And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. It's me. It's not the poor innocent budgets fault causing me to sin. It's my own sinful heart. Here I was having mean thoughts about Dave Ramsey, the man who has kept me and Michael debt free. So Dave, I apologize for bad mouthing you, and to all my friends I have complained to about the "stupid budget" just don't listen to me.

4 comments:

Emily Chappell said...

I feel ya... I feel ya.

Anonymous said...

Me too, Krista! Good news is...Clay and I have been doing the Dave Ramsey thing ever since we got married (almost 4 years) and it works! I will say this...I HATE having to go in at the gas station and pay but I love trying to see how long my cash can last and what all I can buy with the little bit at the end of the month. It has become a little game. So, try it out for at least 4-5 months and know this...we had to change our cash categories and amounts each month for a while to get it right.

Anonymous said...

I'm just impressed that you all are sticking with it period. I went to the Financial Peace University classes last fall, and thought "yes, this is great" but I have completely fallen off the cash-only wagon. Y'all are an inspiration to get back on and keep trying!

Lane Arnold said...

Your nosey friend...I have to know what you bought!!!!!